- Fire Department
- Fire Prevention
- Permit Information and Special Events
- Temporary Tent Permit
Temporary Tent Permit
A Commercial Building Permit is required for temporary tents
Liberty Township Fire Department
Fire Prevention Bureau
REQUIREMENTS FOR PUBLIC TENTS
The following requirements are included in accordance with all applicable provisions of the 2017 Ohio Fire Code (“OFC”), the Liberty Township, Delaware County, Ohio Supplement to the 2017 Ohio Fire Code (“Supplement”), the Ohio Administrative Code (“OAC”), the Ohio Revised Code (“ORC”), and any other applicable source of local, state, or federal law.
- Approval required for tents and membrane structures having an area in excess of four hundred (400) square feet. (OFC §§ 3103.2 and 3103.4).
- Use period – temporary tents or tensioned membrane structures shall not be erected for a period of more than one hundred eighty (180) days within a 12-month period on a single premises. (OFC § 3103.5).
- A detailed site and floor plan for tents showing all aisles, exits, extinguisher placement, and general contents, must be submitted to the Fire Code Official. (OFC § 3103.6).
- A minimum of two (2) separate exits at least thirty-six inches (36”) in width must be maintained at all times. Exits must be located such that all exits are within one hundred feet (100’) or less of another exit. (OFC § 3103.12.a).
- All aisles must maintain at least forty-four inches (44”) in width. (OFC § 3103.12.5).
- All exits must be marked (on sided tents) with an exit sign. If the tent is to be occupied at night, the exit signs must be illuminated and include emergency lighting with battery backup power. (OFC §§ 3184.108.40.206 and 3103.12.7).
- Membrane structures or tents shall have a permanently affixed label bearing the identification of size and fabric or material type. A copy of the flame resistant label must be submitted to the Fire Code Official. (OFC § 3104.3).
- The area surrounding the tent must be clear of all combustibles, flammables, and vegetation to a distance of thirty feet (30’). (OFC §§ 3104.5 and 3104.21).
- No smoking is permitted in or within twenty feet (20’) of tents at any time. Clearly marked “NO SMOKING” signs shall be conspicuously posted inside and outside tents. (OFC § 3104.6).
- No open flames may be used inside or located within twenty feet (20’) of tents. (OFC § 3104.7).
- There shall be a minimum clearance of at least three feet (3’) between the fabric envelope and all contents located inside tents or membrane structures. (OFC § 3104.11).
- A minimum of two (2) portable fire extinguishers with at least 2- A: 10-B:C rating must be properly mounted in an accessible location. All portable fire extinguishers are required to be serviced and tagged annually. (OFC § 3104.12).
- Separation of Generators – generators and other internal combustion sources shall be separated from tents or membrane structures by a minimum of twenty feet (20’) and shall be isolated from contact with the public by fencing, enclosure, or other approved means. (OFC § 3104.19).
- Additional information regarding requirements for public tents can be obtained from the Fire Code Official upon request.
A PERMIT WILL BE ISSUED BY THE FIRE CODE OFFICAL AFTER INSPECTION AND
APPROVAL OF THE CONSTRUCTED TENT.
NO OCCUPANCY SHALL BE PERMITTED PRIOR TO APPROVAL OR WITHOUT A PERMIT APPROVED AND ISSUED BY THE FIRE CODE OFFICIAL.
Permits are subject to current plan review/inspection and assembly fees. All fees must be paid before the permit is issued.